Skip to main content

Crock Pot Chicken & Rice

I have many variations of this meal but here is how we are going to throw down today...

First, put some chicken boobs in your crock pot. (darn it, I was going to have a photo right here, but I totally forgot to take it...pretend you see chicken breasts).

Done.

Next, open a few cans and containers and dump them on top of your boobs (drain the beans first!)

That would be a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans (I would use pinto...but was out!) salsa (1 cup) and a couple table spoons of taco seasoning. Corn is good, but I was out of that too!

Now, there is one can missing from this photo....cream of chicken soup. It's missing because I'm going to make some homemade cream of chicken soup! Why go to the trouble?
CHICKEN STOCK, WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CHICKEN MEAT, MALTODEXTRIN, CREAM (MILK), CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF: WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORNSTARCH, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, LOWER SODIUM NATURAL SEA SALT, FLAVORING, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CHICKEN FAT, YEAST EXTRACT, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SPICE, BETA CAROTENE (FOR COLOR), DEHYDRATED CHICKEN.
Um....wow that's a lot of stuff in that little can! Instead, I shall use this and freeze 1/2 for another day (each batch makes two cans). It contains:
Chicken broth, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, parsley, paprika, milk & flour
I know how to pronounce ALL of those ingredients!

Ok, back on track!!! So dump the homemade cream of chicken soup on top of everything else, give it a quick stir, put the lid on your magical crock pot, set on low for 6-8 hours and go do something fabulous while your slow cooker does all the work.

Oh how I love thee!

Side note: I know I said you can put pretty much anything in a crock pot and it will taste fantastic....but PLEASE do not try this theory with babies....even if you add A1.

Goodness is this child cute! 
Or kitties....

Ok...that's just not sanitary!!!!

*Fast Forward 6-8 hours*

Make up some brown rice (or use leftovers). Stir in the cooked rice about 30 minutes before it is done cooking. I know it will look a little soupy...but the rice will totally take care of that!!! 

Serve in bowls with crushed tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream.

mmmmmmm....do you smell that? That is heaven in a bowl!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!