Skip to main content

Pondering

I tend to stay away from hot button issues. My beliefs are my beliefs (mind you, they have changed a lot over the years) and I usually keep it to myself. But this topic has weighed heavy on my heart the last few days.

I have witnessed (via the news) the aftermath of a young man who did the unthinkable. I don't understand why he did it, if he had mental problems, if he was on medication or not on medication, if he was raised in an amazing home or a horrible one, if he was afforded every luxury in the world or kept locked in a basement. Honestly, for me no reason makes it forgivable, but I am not the judge.

Twenty-six people lost their lives and the least we can do is learn something and make sure they leave a legacy of love and courage. I know if my child had been in that classroom last week, I wouldn't want his death to be paraded around for news ratings, religious bashing or political gain...I would want people to stop, reflect and see how they can be the change they want to see in the world. It is SO easy to point fingers, it's hard to admit our own faults (and I'm including myself there!).

I'm not writing this to sound self righteous or push my own agenda...if it comes off that way I am so very sorry! I have zero answers. I am flawed. I am human. I have a blog so I get to type random ponderings and wonder if anyone really reads this. I have my opinions and I welcome you to stop reading if you are rolling your eyes and not the least bit interested in what I have to type...or read on and contemplate what has been on my mind and heart lately.

Mark 12:28-29

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
 29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God; the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."


When He says "neighbors", He doesn't mean the dude next door that smokes too close to your glass sliding door or the kid across the street that always leaves his bike in the driveway. He means EVERYONE. He doesn't say that you should love "those who are the same religion as you", "those who vote the same way that you do", "those who like the same color as you", "those who hate tomatoes like you do"....he says THE MOST important thing to do is love God and one another.

So, what exactly does love mean (cuz we know adultery isn't exactly what he's getting at here). The following scripture is frequently used in wedding ceremonies, but it's a definition of love that is so much more than romantic love.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

All of this pondering was not a reaction to the shooting, I know love alone won't stop a shooter from doing awful things (that topic is a WHOLE can of worms that I'm not even going to touch)...I'm addressing what I have seen since the shooting....the personal attacks, the anger, the name calling, the inability to just respect each other...even if we don't agree with each other.

I originally typed "I just ask that you PLEASE love one another" but who am I to ask that of you? (and kinda obnoxious of me to assume you aren't loving to everyone). If you are still with me, I just ask that you give this some thought. Individually we might not make a significant change....but together we can do great things.

I pray for peace and love during this holiday season.

Thank You.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!