Skip to main content

Meal Planning

Lately I haven't been meal planning like I usually do. Partly because I had lots of freezer meals hanging out....and didn't really have to cook/grocery shop much. However, when I'm lazy that leads to it being 5:00 pm and I have forgotten to pull anything out of the freezer, so we have pizza! So this week, I made sure I actually wrote things down and tried to stay ahead of the game...here's what I came up with!

Monday: Man Pleasin' Chicken (from the freezer), brown rice & sauteed kale
---Since I was making rice for this meal, I just tripled the batch so that I could have rice already made for Tuesday night's dinner and have another helping to freeze for a meal next week or whenever.
---Also, since I found myself at home all afternoon and I knew that the next day would be super busy, I threw some beans in the crockpot. The beans were dried beans that were soaked overnight for this recipe. I soaked a TON of beans...so the large amount that was left over after making 4 freezer meals were placed in a gallon ziploc bag and thrown in the freezer. All I had to do was beat the frozen bag of beans on the counter a few times to break them up, toss them in the crockpot with the cumin, taco seasoning, chicken broth and bay leaves and cook for 4 hours on high. When they were finished I drained them and put them in a container for tomorrow. 

Tuesday: Tamales (store-bought from Sam's Club), brown rice, beans
---I am SOOOO glad I prepped the rice and beans already! Today was very busy and then my husband worked very late, so it was just me and the kids. All I had to do was heat everything up in the microwave and serve. I added salsa and cheese on top of the rice and beans and it was super yummy!

Wednesday: Chicken & Apple Sausages on Hoagies with coleslaw
---This is a total cop out meal...sometimes you need a cop out meal! I will have to add dressing to the coleslaw...that's work! :)

---This is my new FAVORITE and I'm testing out to see how it freezes. I made a double batch a week or so ago and this is my test to see how it did. I'll let ya know!! In theory all I'll have to do it thaw it out and warm it up! I will also use the rest of the brown rice from the triple batch the other day. 

Friday: We will be gone...so it will be dinner on the run

Saturday:  Chicken & Apple Sausage Pasta  (this site has lots of pop ups and annoying ads so here is the recipe)

"I filled my biggest pot with water and set it over high heat to come to a boil. Then I chopped up 4 links of chicken-apple sausage and heated olive oil in a big skillet. I heated quite a bit of oil because I needed the oil, which gets some flavor from the sausage, to coat my pasta. I cooked for 15 minutes or so, turning the heat up and down and stirring frequently.
When the pasta water came to a boil, I salted the water and added about 3/4 pound of penne. When the pasta had just 4 minutes left to cook, I added broccoli florets and peeled, sliced stems to the pasta and water. (I left the broccoli pieces kind of big because the friend doesn't like broccoli.) Once they were cooked I drained and tossed them in a big bowl with the sausage and oil. Added Parmesan to individual servings of pasta."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!