Skip to main content

My Favorite Christmas Gift Ever

As I'm Christmas shopping for my kids, I'm contemplating my favorite gifts as a kid. I don't remember them all...I mostly remember trying to sneak a peek in the middle of the night and the super funky fruits (that we had never heard of) that Santa would leave in our stockings. I do remember the Barbie head that I wanted badly (Barbie head makes me sound barbaric...it was like a lifesize head and you could style her hair and do her makeup), the DJ set (because that's what I wanted to be when I grew up) and the telephone I nagged my parents to death about (and honestly, they shouldn't have gotten it for me, I was a brat). But my favorite "gift" wasn't originally wrapped at all...it was the gift of reading this book every night at bed time. I loved this tradition and it is my favorite memory!



Fast forward a whole buncha years...Christmas 2007 I was pregnant with my son. My dad handed me a gift that was obviously a book, and when I unwrapped it, I instantly burst into tears. It was the book he had read to me for so many years and he thought I could read it to my kids.

The next year, my son was just 9 months old at Christmas time and I attempted to read it to him...but he just wanted to eat the pages. Now, every time we cuddle up before bed and dive into a story, I'm thankful for this gift...it was much more than just a book!

I hope that when my kids look back on their childhood, they don't remember the toys or video games as their favorites, but instead, remember the time spent together and the love we have for each other!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!