Skip to main content

Hilde's Corner - Those darn aphids


I’ve been busy in my garden, as many of you might be this time of year, but I am waging battle in mine. Aphids have laid siege to my hellebores.😭 I have fought back fiercely, but I fear the little bugs are winning. I am tired and dream of how nice a garden without aphids would be. Then it hit me… I can have lively blooms - in my knitting or crochet!!! No aphids there!! (Granted, other little bugs could potentially be an issue, but we are NOT going to go there!)


So if your garden is causing you sadness, fear not! We can have graceful blooms on our projects. Here are some beautiful ideas.


Oh look! First up are Hellebore socks! No aphids on these beauties. You can bet I will be knitting these ASAP!



Hellebore by Jessica McDonald sells for $7 on Ravelry. Cascade Heritage would be great for these socks with ALL the color options they have. Or perhaps a fun indie dyed yarn for the flowers.



Look how happy and cheerful these flowers look on Flowers of Fortrose Hat by Corinne Tomlinson. Selling for $7 on Ravelry, this would look beautiful worked up in Shetland Lite by Queensland.


This tee is cute with flowers “blooming” on the bottom edge. In The Garden by Jessica McDonald is $9 on Ravelry. In my mind, I see this one made with Heather Ellis Art yarns. The colorway Nimbus would pair so nicely with either Huckleberry or Night Sky. Marine would be another great contrast color choice.


This sweet-looking sweater, Cafe au Lait by Rachel Illsley was designed with inspiration from a dahlia. Selling for about $9, it uses sport-weight yarn. Patagonia organic merino by Juniper Moon Farm would work nicely here.


This last pattern idea is a crochet one, and I think they’re so cute. The Garden Trolls by Bea King sells for about $7 through Ravelry. (Be advised that this is a UK pattern, and crochet terms differ between UK and America) The trolls come with instructions for little accessories and embellishments, too! Maybe if I’d had one of these little trolls in my hellebore garden, they would have scared the aphids away! (Though if I DID have one of these cuties, I would not be putting it outside.) The largest troll uses worsted weight yarn held double, while the smaller trolls use DK weight. I think for worsted weight I would use Cotton Supreme in cotton, or if I didn’t want to use cotton I would choose Uptown Worsted in acrylic, while trolls made with DK yarn I would choose Ricorumi DK .


Well, until I crochet a good luck troll, I better get back to my aphid battle. Fear not! I have insecticidal soap! Take THAT, you aphids!! Ha HA!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

Free Pattern - Moose Mountain Cowl

Materials:  Yarnalia Cloud - 50g / 142 Yards - Main Color = Grey, Contrast Color = Blue 70% Baby Alpaca 7% Merino Wool 23%Recycled Polyamide US13 24” Circular Knitting Needles   1 Stitch Marker   Gauge : 12.5 stitches per 4” in Pattern Finished Measurements:  Jen’s  Pattern Notes:  We love using this little knitting hack of knitting one round when we change our colors. This eliminates the purl stitches looking a little funky (if you know, you know).  We decreased by 25% of the stitches about halfway through the cowl to allow the top of the cowl to be a little closer to the neck and the bottom spread over your shoulders if you want to wear it that way! We gave you little check boxes to check off as you complete repeats. **PATTERN** Using Main Color, CO92, place stitch marker and join in the round Round 1: (K2, P2) Repeat parentheses all the way around Repeat Round 1 six more times       ⃞          ⃞...