Skip to main content

The yuckie side of AI

For quite some time I have been seeing stories on the internet about a crochet pattern that is completely AI (meaning that pattern will NEVER make anything near what the photo looks like), but recently, I'm hearing more horror stories in the shop!!

AI can be a great tool in some industries, but when it comes to creative I just can't get on board. Designing a knitting pattern is more than just using abbreviated terms. There is so much testing and pivoting and making sure everything lays just right. It's about trying different ways to get texture and figuring out which way will be easiest for the end user. Hundreds of hours are poured into patterns that you enjoy...and it just can't be replicated with AI. 

I have chatted with a few customers who are teaching themselves how to knit and looking up terms through AI. I would just like to put my two cents, that sometimes the AI returns just aren't correct or they are close to correct but not quite there. I would highly recommend finding a YouTuber you trust (my go to is Very Pink Knits) and go see what they have to say when you have a question. 

The worst use of AI that I have seen in the shop was an AI photo with what I assumed was an AI generated crochet pattern that had NO HOOK SIZE OR YARN INFORMATION!!! I felt so awful that the customer paid for this pattern and didn't have much faith that the pattern would yield what she hoped for. Be careful when purchasing patterns online, especially etsy...that is where I'm seeing all of the AI generated patterns coming from. Ravelry is a better option because you have to provide a lot more information to list a pattern on their platform, which means less likely for scammers to hang out there!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

Hilde's Corner

How are you all doing with holiday gifts? Still need a few to knock out quick-like? I found these cute gifts that I think could work up fast. For the book lovers on your list, I think these cute crocheted chicken bookmarks are hilarious! Crochet Colorful Chicken Bookmark by PurrCraftedDesign . The pattern sells for $4.95 on Ravelry and calls for a sport weight cotton. The shop sells a DK cotton that would also work beautifully for these cuties - Ricorumi Another bookmark pattern is Leaf Bookmark & Garland Motif by Joey Diehl . This pattern is FREE and calls for Worsted weight yarn, so Uptown Worsted would be perfect for this. How about a sweet pocket friend for a child? This one is super basic, called Worry Pet by Blue Fox Paws and is a FREE pattern and uses any gauge yarn! It would be fun to use a textured yarn, or a fuzzy kind, but any yarn works. You can opt to put the ears on or not. We have safety eyes in the shop, too! Do you know someone who uses Airpods and could use a co...