Skip to main content

Hilde's Corner - Tree Topper

We had so much fun decorating the tree for The Festival of Trees at White River Valley Museum. All the ornaments that the community made for our tree was nothing short of amazing! I hope you all get a chance to go out to White River Valley Museum to not only see all the decorated trees but to take a moment and look at the wonderful exhibits at the museum. I did not know about this museum and was pleasantly surprised. I plan to go back with my hubby and really take a look around. The little gift shop was cute, too!



Many of you may have seen the tree topper I made for the tree. I wanted to share how I made Knitting Sheep Angel (I think Jen may have named her Goldy). I used two patterns, one for the body and one for the head. I found a really cute angel topper that was perfect. I looked around for a sheep stuffed animal that called for the same weight yarn and luckily I found one! All I had to do was knit the sheep head and use it in place of the angel head. The angel’s wings were perfect, but because the sheep had such large ears I had to play around with the wing placement to make sure they could still be seen!


The angel tree topper pattern I used was Christmas Angel Tree Topper by Angela Turner. It is about $6.50 on Ravelry and is knit using DK weight yarn. (I used Ricorumi DK). The pieces are knit flat, so there was no dealing with clumsy DPNs, but it can easily be adjusted to be knit in the round if one had the desire. The pattern is very easy to follow with lots of photos. I think the way the designer made this into a tree topper was quite clever. The skirt would be a fun place to go wild and do your own thing!


The pattern for the sheep stuffie I used is simply called Lamb Toy by Ola Oslopova. This pattern sells for $5 on Ravelry and also uses DK weight yarn. I used Ricorumi DK for her as well, but also a fuzzy yarn I had in my stash. She is a sweet stuffie and I know I will be making her as designed very soon. The pattern comes with a cute little dress and she even comes with little knitted socks!! I mean, perfect, right?

The only thing I had to sort of make up was the arms. I wanted the sheep angel to be holding knitting, so she needed arms and hands and the angel pattern did not have that. I just knit a few i-cord arms where at the end I added stitches and knit those flat. I could fold over the flat portion and Tada!! Hands were made. And I didn’t forget to give her a project to knit!


So maybe you will knit a new tree topper this year or maybe a cute sheep or perhaps you’ll do as I did and combine the two into a knitting sheep angel! We all need one of those.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!