Skip to main content

Hilde's Corner

Fall is my very favorite season. Cooler temps, but the sun is still out. A few flowers are still in bloom, and the leaves are starting to turn. What’s not to love? I’ll tell you what’s not to love - cold season! There is nothing quite so jarring as being reminded that cold season is upon us as well! My husband and I were cruelly reminded of this as soon as we turned the calendar to September, and we both got sick.

It has, however, made me think of projects we could make to ease our inevitable suffering when cold or flu does hit.

First up, who doesn’t love to snuggle up in a blanket when you are sick? What about this very snuggly blanket appropriately named Snuggle Cables Blanket by Yarn Sonata.



It seems super snuggly with all those wonderful cables around a center panel. It sells for about $6.70 on Ravelry and calls for aran/worsted weight yarn. My first thought is how cool would it be to use Cascade’s Cantata for this? This is not a machine washable yarn, so this would only work if one was ok with hand washing. For a more washable blanket, Deluxe Worsted Superwash would be perfect, or Universal Yarns Uptown Worsted. Keep in mind, we aren't a blanket quantity of yarn kinda shop....it would be impossible for us to have those quantities of every color. But we can bring up the color cards of all the yarns we carry and you can special order the quantity you need!




For a crochet snuggle blanket Zigzag Waffle Blanket by Lisa van Klaveren on Ravelry selling for $3.30 and also calls for DK weight yarn. Universal DK Multi would be really fun for this project! . I think this blanket looks super cozy with all the squishable waffle stitches.


After we’re all snuggled up in our blankets, the next thing we need is a nice pair of slipper or bed socks. Slumberjacks by Julie Smutzer is a FREE pattern on Ravelry and would work up quickly as they are made with worsted weight yarn. Makes for a nice and squishy sock for the foot. I think Deluxe Stripes would be great for these socks, making the pair super fun with its colorful stripes. 



For the crocheters, we have Ladies Cabled Cuff Boots by Lisa van Klaveren for $5.50 on Ravelry. Calling for DK weight yarn, Uptown DK would work nicely, with Uptown DK Multi having a more stripey effect. Jody Long Ciao would be a good woolly option.

So now we’re snuggled in our blankets, with our feet nice and toasty, the next thing we need is a hot water bottle! And that hot water bottle needs a cozy cover. 



There are some really cute hot water bottle covers on Ravelry, like Snowfall Town Hot Water Bottle Cover by Season Qian FREE on Ravelry. What a great way to hone more complicated knitting techniques practicing on water bottle covers. This one uses stranded colorwork and uses fingering weight yarn held double. Cascade Heritage would be perfect for this.



A FREE crochet pattern would be Basic Hot Water Bottle Cover by Emma Ward. This one calls for DK weight yarn, so I think Uptown DK Multi would be fun for this because of the fun patterns that this yarn creates, and its washability. Mystical Marl is a touch thicker but would be nice and also washable.




We’re almost all ready for our recuperation, but we need one more thing! A nice cup of cocoa, and our mug needs a cute cozy for it. Mug Hugger by A Little Knitty Designs is FREE on Ravelry (and designed by our very own Jen!) It uses worsted weight yarn, and would be perfect for scraps you might have around the house. If you need some worsted weight, Uptown Worsted is what the pattern calls for. How fun it would be all knit up in your most favorite colors.


A crochet mug cozy could be Clove Mug Cozy by Lily Watts FREE on Ravelry. It uses any weight yarn so the sky’s the limit for this one!


May you all manage to keep the cold and flu away, but if you do manage to catch it, I hope your recuperation is quick. And I hope you find yourself prepared to get cozy when it does hit. Stay healthy!!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

Hilde's Corner

How are you all doing with holiday gifts? Still need a few to knock out quick-like? I found these cute gifts that I think could work up fast. For the book lovers on your list, I think these cute crocheted chicken bookmarks are hilarious! Crochet Colorful Chicken Bookmark by PurrCraftedDesign . The pattern sells for $4.95 on Ravelry and calls for a sport weight cotton. The shop sells a DK cotton that would also work beautifully for these cuties - Ricorumi Another bookmark pattern is Leaf Bookmark & Garland Motif by Joey Diehl . This pattern is FREE and calls for Worsted weight yarn, so Uptown Worsted would be perfect for this. How about a sweet pocket friend for a child? This one is super basic, called Worry Pet by Blue Fox Paws and is a FREE pattern and uses any gauge yarn! It would be fun to use a textured yarn, or a fuzzy kind, but any yarn works. You can opt to put the ears on or not. We have safety eyes in the shop, too! Do you know someone who uses Airpods and could use a co...