Skip to main content

Kris' & Hilde's Corner - Happy 1st Day of Spring

We don't have a schedule or topic list for Hilde or Kris' Corners...we like to keep it organic. This week both submitted articles on the SAME topic...so I just had to make it a Kris & Hilde corner...enjoy!!!

Kris' part of the corner...
It’s The First Day of Spring!

My daffodils are blooming and birds are singing their hearts out and the sun has been shining consistently for how many straight days now!?!….Hello Spring! I don’t know about you but I’m ready for some sunshine. I’m not a naïve Washingtonian, I know we have more rainy blustery days ahead but the sunshine has lifted my spirits and my knitting dreams so here’s what’s on my needles.

When Capella Luna had their trunk show I was immediately drawn to the tweed sock yarn. My son has been asking for some socks so I showed him the colors and he quickly chose Tweedy Sock “Ferry”, a beautiful green. We picked out a cable sock that he liked and I’ve been working away. 


 The pattern is, “Men’s Cable Socks” by KittyKittySockDesign and is available on Ravelry. The pattern calls for full length socks but my son wants them shorter so I’m happy to adjust. Plus, that’s a lot of tiny cables for two socks. Capella Luna’s Tweedy Sock yarn comes in four different colors and is a nice addition to the shop.


My second Spring project is using Juniper Moon Farm Summer Solstice Paints linen and cotton yarn. Jen brought in a whole variety of colors and each combination of colors is lovely. I had trouble deciding which one to choose. True to its name each one is like a painters palette. I chose the color “Seaside Serenity”. I’m making “Ankers Summer Shirt” by PetiteKnit. This short sleeve sweater is worked from the top down with a beautiful pattern around the yoke that will show off the yarns colors. I love this sweater because it doesn’t have any finishing other than weaving in ends. I’m excited to wear this sweater when the warm weather really settles in.

Welcome Spring!!!!

P.S. In case you are wondering…I’m still trying to stick to my New Years yarny resolution of trying to dip into my stash or deal with some neglected WIPs. Recently I reorganized by needles. I gathered a pile of old crummy needles I used when I first learned to knit and gave them away. I also found needles, well frankly all over my house, that I coralled into one location and separated into the right size spot. Hopefully this will help a bit when I’m frantically looking for the right size and length to use to caste on the next project. I will still continue to try and clear out the WIP’s and stash a bit…stay tuned.


Hilde's part of the corner...

Happy spring, everyone! As I write this, today is the first day of spring. The sun is out, the skies are blue, and the birds are singing. So in honor of this season, we need some spring projects!



I really like this tee pattern called Azalea by Elizabeth Smith. It sells for $8 on Ravelry and uses sport weight yarn. I think United by Queensland would work so well for this. It has a bit of wool in it, so it would be warm on those still cool spring days. If you wanted to knit it with a cooler yarn, I think Cotton Silk Tweed by Laines du Nord would be wonderful for this! I’ve been dying to try this yarn out - maybe this is what I’ll use it for.




What about these adorable spring socks? Offspring Socks by Ducathi sells for about $6.68 on Ravelry. I love the colorwork blooms at the top and the designer gives two different flower pattern charts to choose from. I would knit these with Cascade Heritage sock.



I do enjoy knitting lace patterns so this scarf really called to me. Sterling Spring by Karolina Rozycka sells for about $3.15 on Ravelry. I love the airiness of this scarf and the cabled edges are beautiful. It is written for any gauge yarn, though the model in the photo used fingering weight. My first thought is to suggest Queensland Kathmandu fingering for this. With its little bit of silk and cashmere this yarn would make this project very special. Or Juniper Moon’s Findley - with 50% silk it would add the perfect amount of drape and sheen.




And for the crocheters out there, if you lack a green thumb, you can instead crochet a tulip! Sweet Spring Tulip Bulb Amigurumi by Sweet Softies gives you a tulip that will never fade. It sells for $1.99 on Ravelry. I would say Uptown Worsted would be a good yarn for this project.




And another for the crocheters, this Spring Blossom Blouse by Anastasia R. Smith ($6 on Ravelry) seems nice and light and airy - perfect for warmer weather. It uses DK weight yarn so Bamboo Pop would be a great option for this.


Wishing all of you a very happy spring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!