Skip to main content

Kris' Corner - Happy New Year

Happy New Year fiber friends. 

Ok, I realize its almost February but I’m trying to drag out the holidays as long as possible. I confess I just packed away the last Christmas decorations and I still have white lights strewn across my kitchen. These dark wet days can get me down and having those lights lifts my spirits. Of course, yarn lifts my spirits as well and I do love to snuggle up inside with a knitting project and cup of coffee or tea.

Hilde has already shared with you her yarny resolutions for the New Year and so I’m going to piggyback on her article and share mine with you as well. First off is delving into my ever-growing stash of yarn. Yep, I have quite a bit and so I’ve decided to, once a month, do one of two things to get my backstock a bit more under control. Either I will pick a skein or hank of something from my bins and use it in a new project or I will pull out a WIP and finish it or frog it.

Dealing with my stash will be quite a chore but I know it’s a treasure trove of surprises. I’m excited to reacquaint myself with old yarns that I befriended but then stored and forgot about. If I pull something out and I’m just not feeling the love anymore than I will gift it off to someone else and find it a new home. Our neighbors have two wonderful daughters who are all about creating things with yarn and so I know that they might be able to use some of my stash that I don’t need.

If I don’t feel like dealing with the stash I will pull out a WIP. This is another storage area of surprises. Some of them I know I will decide to finish but many I will probably frog. Why is it so fun to start a new project and so hard to complete sometimes? Some of these WIPS have great yarns being held hostage but I’m not feeling the pattern anymore. This is a great opportunity to use the yarn elsewhere!!! Oh, the possibilities!!

As well as cleaning things out I will of course be continuing to start new projects. How can that possibly be avoided when there are so many fun great yarns that Jen brings into the store. On top of that, you wonderful customers are constantly showing me what you are making and I want to join the party and make it too. What a great yarn community we have to share and encourage each other in our creative endeavors.

So, what specifically did I decide to do for my resolution in January? I pulled a WIP out and have decided to finish it. It’s a pair of socks. The pattern is “Vanilla is The New Black”. I can’t find the label for the yarn but still love it. I’m doing two at a time and excited to jump back in and wear them soon.

The new project I’m about to start is the “DRK Everyday Cowl” by Andrea Mowry. Jen knit one and I love the way it lays around your neck. I’m knitting it in a beautiful Boss Kitty yarn called, “Larkspur”. A gorgeous blue green DK that has been calling to me ever since the Boss Kitty trunk show.

Hopefully I will be able to keep my yarny resolution. I’ll keep you posted

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!