Skip to main content

My Non Scale Victories

I have been on this "Get Healthy, Stay Healthy" kick since January 1st this year. At first I just made small changes and tracked my food on My Fitness Pal (I've logged in EVERY day since January 1st!!!), worked out at the Y and 13 pounds came off fairly easily. But lately I've been ramping things up and the scale isn't moving AT. ALL. I've been frustrated and wanted to give up. But honestly giving up isn't really an option because I do feel healthier and I like living like this, even though I can't seem to budge the scale! I DO understand that being healthy is so much more than a number...however there comes a point where you would like that number to catch up! ;)

This weekend I had a few moments that would not have been possible if I didn't make the small changes I have made this year and they have very little to do with the number I see on the scale.

#1 I had my best personal time at a 5K race. For some, 41 minutes and 59 seconds is nothing to write home about....but for me I'm thrilled!!! I am IMPROVING! Not quickly and I'm not to my goal of 30 minutes...but I'm improving. And there were moments that I pushed myself harder than I thought was possible! It was a total win and didn't matter if I was 400 lbs or 120...I got it done!

#2. I went on the swings with my kids. I don't remember the last time I actually swung on a swingset. I've sat down for a minute, but my butt just did NOT fit, I felt like my circulation was being cut off and I was SURE I would break it. Today, my butt fit!!!! Today I pumped my legs back and forth to show my son how it's done! That was better than seeing a lower number on the scale!

Since I've been a big girl all my life, I have gotten used to assuming I can't do things.

I have said a little prayer as I buckled my seatbelt on the plane, hoping that it fits.
I have breathed a silent sigh of relief when I fit in the seat on the ride at Disneyland.
I have feared they have a scale in the floor at the waterslide park and they knew how dangerously close I am to the weight limit.
I have walked in countless adorable little shops, knowing the only thing that will fit me is a scarf, earring or pair of shoes.

I have become so used to this being my norm...that I don't question it. But as I'm changing for the better...I'm having to challenge some of these norms and hopefully soon they aren't even on my radar!

If you are like me and frustrated that the scale is not showing off your hard work...go challenge some of your norms! I bet you will be pleasantly surprised!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!