Skip to main content

Hilde's Corner

My favorite season is upon us - FALL!!!

I LOVE autumn, with its cool air, colorful leaves, and when the sky is clear and blue there is just no better day. The cooler weather means wearing my handknits! It’s so much fun looking at all the fun, new patterns! Really gets the creative juices flowing.

The worst thing for me, however, is realizing if I want to knit gifts for the holidays, I need to get a move on with that, and soon! As I write this, there are only 82 days until Christmas. That’s not a lot of days!

Thankfully, I’ve had inspiration from a few customers recently and I can’t wait to share them with you! The first two are super cute toys that you don’t necessarily need to give to kids!




First up is Dumpster Raccoon, which had the customer and I laughing hysterically as we checked it out. She said she was going to make it for herself and put it on her desk at work. This little set is so stinkin’ cute! Little raccoons with their own dumpster, if you were so inclined to actually make up the dumpster. It even has little bits of garbage!! And check out the little toes on the raccoons! This little crochet set is by Laura Sutcliffe and sells for about $4.92 on Ravelry. The pattern says it can be made with any gauge yarn, so your set will just come out bigger or smaller depending on what gauge you choose. I think I would use Ricorumi DK for this because this yarn comes in small skeins and lots of different colors. Laura has a few little sets that are just adorable - the little details are incredible. Do check her out. There’s also a camping mouse with its own tent and kayak.





This next one is a knitted stuffy called The Friendly Capybara by Ngoc Vu and sells for $6 on Ravelry. He comes with an inflatable floaty and a little bird that sits on his head! One of our customers came in with one all done and it was so cute! The pattern calls for fingering weight yarn and he comes out quite big in fingering, so I don’t think I would go with a much heavier weight yarn than this, unless you wanted quite a large capybara! Cascade Heritage would be the perfect choice for this cute toy.



As I was scrolling through all the new patterns I came across this cute knit hat/cowl/mitt set using easy slipped stitches called Slippt by Kirsten-Michele and selling on Ravelry for $7. This pattern is great for gifts because not only do you have the option of choosing what you want to make between the cowl, the hat, or the mitts, but you have the option of choosing between 4 weights of yarn!! We brought in worsted mini sets from Blue Sky Fibers Woolstok. They would be so much fun to use in any of these pieces. The mini sets already come color coordinated so all you’d need is a main color and you’re off! But if you don’t want to buy a whole set of minis, we have single mini’s you can choose from as well.

I hope this helps give you some inspiration for any gifts you are hoping to create this year. If you have any more great gift ideas, stop by and let me know! I’d love to hear about them and share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

Hilde's Corner

How are you all doing with holiday gifts? Still need a few to knock out quick-like? I found these cute gifts that I think could work up fast. For the book lovers on your list, I think these cute crocheted chicken bookmarks are hilarious! Crochet Colorful Chicken Bookmark by PurrCraftedDesign . The pattern sells for $4.95 on Ravelry and calls for a sport weight cotton. The shop sells a DK cotton that would also work beautifully for these cuties - Ricorumi Another bookmark pattern is Leaf Bookmark & Garland Motif by Joey Diehl . This pattern is FREE and calls for Worsted weight yarn, so Uptown Worsted would be perfect for this. How about a sweet pocket friend for a child? This one is super basic, called Worry Pet by Blue Fox Paws and is a FREE pattern and uses any gauge yarn! It would be fun to use a textured yarn, or a fuzzy kind, but any yarn works. You can opt to put the ears on or not. We have safety eyes in the shop, too! Do you know someone who uses Airpods and could use a co...