Skip to main content

Brown Rice

In an effort to eat healthier, I got rid of the white rice in the house and replaced it with brown rice. I enjoy the taste of brown rice, but it seems like it takes more effort to cook it, and have it come out yummy. I've tried cooking it like white rice, that didn't work. I've checked out a few different methods online and none of them really floated my boat....until I found this page: http://pinchmysalt.com/how-to-cook-perfect-brown-rice/

mmmmm....rice

The recipe is pretty simple. Take rice, a pinch of salt and some water. I use the 4 to 1 ratio, get the water boiling, rinse off the rice and throw it in the pot then leave it alone for 30 minutes or so (today it went a bit longer, shhhhhhh.....don't tell anyone!) Strain out the water and let the rice chill for a little bit and you are done!

I have been making pretty large batches so that I can have leftovers for a late night snack or with sliced almonds, apple chunks and cinnamon for breakfast. 

Comments

  1. You should try the Minute brown rice. It's real brown rice, fully cooked and then dehydrated. All you have to do is rehydrate it, that's why it's so fast. I'm sure it's more expensive, but it's nice to have on hand in a pinch. Also, it's nice to have to throw into a stew or something in the last few minutes, and it rehydrates with the broth and gets super yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

Hilde's Corner

How are you all doing with holiday gifts? Still need a few to knock out quick-like? I found these cute gifts that I think could work up fast. For the book lovers on your list, I think these cute crocheted chicken bookmarks are hilarious! Crochet Colorful Chicken Bookmark by PurrCraftedDesign . The pattern sells for $4.95 on Ravelry and calls for a sport weight cotton. The shop sells a DK cotton that would also work beautifully for these cuties - Ricorumi Another bookmark pattern is Leaf Bookmark & Garland Motif by Joey Diehl . This pattern is FREE and calls for Worsted weight yarn, so Uptown Worsted would be perfect for this. How about a sweet pocket friend for a child? This one is super basic, called Worry Pet by Blue Fox Paws and is a FREE pattern and uses any gauge yarn! It would be fun to use a textured yarn, or a fuzzy kind, but any yarn works. You can opt to put the ears on or not. We have safety eyes in the shop, too! Do you know someone who uses Airpods and could use a co...