Skip to main content

Hilde's Corner - Travel Inspired

Hello Everyone! I recently got back from a big trip to The Netherlands and Norway that I took with my family (Mom, sister, brother-in-law, brother, and daughter) to visit family and see some sights. We spent a week in The Netherlands, and two weeks in Norway and had the most wonderful time! We went to celebrate Mom’s 80th birthday and she was treated like a queen and thoroughly spoiled. We had two family parties in Norway, visited many cousins, and were taken on some amazing day trips.

So in honor of my trip, I thought it would be fun to find some patterns inspired by The Netherlands and Norway!


First up is Dutch Tulips by Alina Appasova - an asymmetrical triangle shawl using mosaic knitting. The pattern is $8 on Ravelry. I think using mini skeins would work beautifully for this project! We have a Rainier Roses kit that is perfect. (Sadly we didn’t see any Dutch tulips on the trip - wrong time of year)


Here is a beautiful cowl inspired by the city of Delft where the blue and white pattern and Delft Blue pottery is made. It’s called When In Delft by Heather Boos and sells for $5.95 on Ravelry. It uses fingering weight yarn. This is another possibility to use minis for, or a slow color changing yarn like Echoes by Gusto Wool or Laines du Nord Watercolor sock.



How about these beautiful socks inspired by Norwegian stranded colorwork themes - Snowhearts socks by Inger Berg. This pattern sells for about $5.50 on Ravelry and utilizes elements from traditional Norwegian patterns. I love that it has both hearts and snowflakes. Heritage Cascade yarn with all its solid color choices would be a good choice for these socks.


And here’s one for amigurumi lovers and/or gnome lovers - Viking Gnome by Elisa Sartori. A crochet pattern selling on Ravelry for $4.99. Ricorumi Solids would be perfect for this little guy.


I would also like to share with you the project I worked on during my trip. I knit Riptide135 by Jennifer Shiels Toland. It sells for $6.50 on Ravelry and is three patterns in one, as you can choose to knit the small scarf with 1 skein of yarn, or a shawl with 3 skeins of yarn, or a bigger shawl with 5 skeins of yarn (Hence the 135 at the end of the name). I did the small scarf using Firwood Farms alpaca yarn, so because they come in smaller skeins, I needed two. This pattern was easily memorizable so it was perfect for a trip - I could pick it up at any moment and know where I was. I loved this yarn - easy to work with and nice and soft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!