Skip to main content

Hilde's Corner - Cozy Warm Hat

Hello Everyone! I'm planning a short trip to Minnesota to see family etc, and decided I need a nice warm hat for the occasion. (My sister and her hubby are participating in a huge cross-country ski event and we'll be outside to cheer them on! I'll need something warm for sure!) It was my chance to try Herriot Great from Juniper Moon Farm! I've always wanted to try this super soft yarn. I hesitated because it's an alpaca yarn and in the past sometimes alpaca has been scratchy to wear, but alpaca is known for its warmth, so I decided to try it. 



I am knitting up Heather Hat by Yaroslava Handmade (pattern is $5.50 Canadian) with large, soft, gorgeous cables. The hat is not done yet, but I have to say the yarn is SO soft and I'm not noticing any itch factor at all! At this point I am so in love with this yarn!!! As it comes in other weights, my mind is reeling with possibilities! A shawl or cowl in this so soft yarn is a must knit on my (rather large) "to knit" list. 

(Jen's note: the other day she finished it...so I made her take a photo of her gorgeous finished hat!!! Here it is!)



I also wanted to take the time to talk about a knitting/crochet notion that is a "must have" in my book. I used to use Post-It Notes to mark my place in patterns, but was so frustrated when they did not last and fall off and I'd lose my place. I discovered Highlighter Tape and it won me over!!! This tape is amazing! It can be repositioned many times and will still stick for quite a long time. It is also transparent, so you can see through it, which I love! I am a chart user, so being able to see through the tape is perfect for that. I can mark my place but still see what is written under the tape or use it to highlight a part I am on and still be able to read it. I have one in three different colors I love it so much! They sell for $6 here in the shop (sorry, we don't ship it...the container has broken during shipping so we just sell it in store now!). I store mine in a plastic bag to keep it fuzz-free. If you're still using Post-It's, try this tape and see if you'll love it as much as I do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!