Skip to main content

Kris' Corner - So many baby blankets


I seem to get the same questions…Why so many blankets, Kris?  Don’t you get tired of knitting them?

The answers are simple for me. Nope, since as long as there are babies, they will need blankets, and no, amazingly, I don’t get tired of making them. 

  

Somehow the feel of the soft yarn in my hands, the increasing warmth on my lap as the blanket grows and the the relaxing rhythm of my needles clicking away fills my heart as I think about the babies that might be comforted by my work.  Some of these blankets I give to friends, such as my niece in the pic below and some I donate to comfort a new mom and baby that could use a “welcome to the world” gift.

I tend to choose the easy patterns, making it the perfect no-brainer project to move my hands and quiet my mind.  I stash various “blankets in progress” in favorite locations to have at the ready if I’m waiting at an airport, delayed at a doctors appointment, watching my favorite Dodger baseball games or murder mysteries with my husband or simply when I’m tired and need a cup of tea and a break.  I love working with different washable fibers and picking out fun colors.

Baby blankets couldn’t be easier to knit.  There are many patterns available including the one I’m working on now which is Jen’s Sail Away Blanket that knits up fast.  I’m using two different colors in Nifty Cotton by Cascade Yarns.  This particular one is not only a fun design but practical as well for a wrap around baby or a soft spot for baby to play or lie on.  Jen also designed the dimensions for a perfect fit in a stroller providing a bit of comfort and snuggle.

So next time you are looking for a new project, consider a baby blanket. It may become your go to project as well.  Plus, I promise you will always end up warming a small heart!!!


-Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!