Skip to main content

Cilantro-Balsamic Flank Steak

This summer we bought some flank steak for a BBQ we were hosting. We bought it at Sam's club so I put 1/2 in the freezer for later. With the new year here, I was cleaning out the freezer and was pretty excited when I stumbled upon it (plus, it helped out the grocery budget this week!) I went through my cupboard and fridge and scraped together stuff for the marinade below...it turned out pretty darn good! 

  • Marinade
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 3 tbsps chopped cilantro
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsps dijon-style mustard
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • squirt of honey
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (taste)
  • black pepper (fresh ground)
Mix everything together in a bowl then add to flank steak and marinade 24 hours. You can also put the marinade in a ziploc bag, add the flank steak and freeze. When you are ready to fix it, just take the bag out of the freezer and thaw in the fridge. It marinades as it thaws!!

Grill or cook on very hot grill pan, 3-4 minutes each side. Let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. 

I turned it into fajitas for the family, and a fajita salad for me...it was kinda funky with the balsamic taste...but it was so good that I just called it a fusion dish! :)

My husband had two fajitas with cheese, sour cream, salsa, and some chips on the side. By my calculations, it was about 800 calories. I, on the other hand, made this killer salad below which included a bit of shredded cheese, 1 TBSP Sour Cream and was very filling and had a ton of veggies (sauteed onion & bell pepper, lettuce, cilantro, avocado and homemade salsa) for 350 calories! Lucky for the hubby, he never has to watch his girlish figure!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!