Skip to main content

Introducing Square Peg Yarns

I am so excited to announce a project that is VERY close to my heart! 

A Little Backstory

Before I opened the yarn shop, I had already created A Little Knitty as a business selling newborn hats at markets and online. When I decided to open the shop, I was faced with the decision to keep the name, logo, and social media that I had spent years growing or start over. Part of me very much wanted to start over with the name Square Peg Yarns. But in the end, I stayed with A Little Knitty because it just made more sense time and money-wise. However, I ALWAYS wanted to create a yarn line and name it Square Peg Yarns.

Why Square Peg? 

Well, the grandmother that taught me to knit was named Peggy, and I have always felt like a square peg in a round hole (not in a bad way, just that my superpower was being a little different and harnessing that!) There are times when we all feel this way. We are thrown into a new environment or move to a new place and feel like we don't quite fit in or belong. But it's ok! It is who we are. It is hip to be square!

So, over the last year or so I worked with an artist to make the logo...then worked with local yarn dyer Heather Ellis Art to bring the dream to life!

It was so fun to see what Heather came up with, and how perfectly they went with the inspiration I gave her.

Colorway Names

The yarn names are a little quirky (in fact, that is a colorway name!). All of the colorway names were inspired by something about myself or just how I perceive the world around me!


Quirky just feels like the best word to describe myself...so it was the top of the list for colorway names



Imposter Syndrome. The interwebs define it as "Imposter syndrome involves feelings of self-doubt and personal incompetence that persist despite your education, experience, and accomplishments." I'm totally guilty of this one and I know I'm not alone!


Vulnerable was inspired by the feeling I got while coming up with these names. Giving ya a little peek into my crazy brain.


French Exit was inspired by my FAVORITE way to leave any social situation. I just leave. I don't say goodbye, not even a little wave! I slip out the back when no one is paying attention. I don't have to be socially awkward that way!


Socially Awkward was inspired by how I act in large groups. Made worse after covid times.


No More Spoons was inspired by my fibromyalgia diagnosis years ago. Each morning I wake up with a certain number of "spoons" throughout the day different activities involve giving out spoons or sometimes receiving spoons. But sometimes, at the end of the day, I just don't have any more spoons left to give. 


More Coffee was inspired by the drink that gets me through the day!


Focus was inspired by my lack of attention and constantly telling myself "FOCUS"


Squirrels was named because of the movie Up. I get distracted easily, which I refer to as Squirrel Moments...aka shiny objects (ooh, that might have to be a colorway later!)


Fast Friends was named after the fact that in the fiber world, you can meet someone new in a coffee shop, airport or wherever you may be, and you become fast friends. I love that about the yarn life!


Yes, Please was inspired by my frequent use of yes, please & no, thank you. One day I was in a drive-thru coffee stand and someone pointed out how much I say it and it made me giggle. I guess it was just drilled into me as a kid!


Introvert was inspired by the fact that I am indeed introverted at the core. I'm friendly and LOVE sharing my passion for yarn. But I love to be in a dark corner knitting. 


Happy Light was inspired by the Happy Light that I use during the LOOOONG winter months. Sometimes you just need a little light therapy!


Online Dating this colorway name wasn't on the first list of names, but when I saw the color it reminded me of love. Then love reminded me of my husband. And I found him online! It was before online dating was a thing, we are trendy that way.


Jammie Day is pretty much my favorite day! You know those days where you don't have to leave the house and can just stay cozy and warm? Ya, I love those!

You can find ALL of these yarns in our online store or in person!

If the color/weight you are looking for isn't available, just let me know and we will add it to our next dying party!

With the introduction of our own label, we will also be bringing back seasonal boxes...with a twist!

Each quarter we will take either an existing colorway or a new one and kit it up with a project bag, some pattern links for inspiration and a sweet treat! They will not be a mystery (you will know upfront what colorway it will be) and you will have your choice of DK or sock! They will be kitted up in a bag instead of a box. Basically, I took all the parts of the seasonal boxes that I loved and removed the labor intensive/costly parts! Stay tuned for more information on when these will launch!

Well...that was a nice little therapy session sharing the inner workings of my mind. But when I was brainstorming the overarching theme that I wanted the yarn names to come from...I just knew they needed to be silly and quirky. Like a square peg in a round hole!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!