Skip to main content

Knitted Knockers

I have talked a little bit about Knitted Knockers on Facebook, but wanted to do a blog post to explain what it is I'm talking about (I know, the name makes you snicker, right???)

First....What are Knitted Knockers? Hear the story for the lady who started it all (you might need a Kleenex....I'll wait).


Beautiful, right? I was moved by her story...inspired by the fact that my love for knitting could help someone in their darkest hour.

Here is more information from their website (they say it better than I can!)....

Knitted Knockers are special handmade breast prosthesis for women who have undergone mastectomies or other procedures to the breast. Traditional breast prosthetics are usually expensive, heavy, sweaty and uncomfortable. They typically require special bras or camisoles with pockets and can’t be worn for weeks after surgery. Knitted Knockers on the other hand are soft, comfortable, beautiful and when placed in a regular bra they take the shape and feel of a real breast. Our special volunteer knitters provide these free to those requesting them. Knitted knockers can be adjusted to fill the gap for breasts that are uneven and easily adapted for those going through reconstruction by simply removing some of the stuffing.

A Little Knitty has become a collection point for Knitted Knocker AND we are adopting a local clinic and will be their supplier for Knitted Knockers as patients need them. I have created 5 sets and hope to have another 5 by next week! I'm hustling but I can use your help!!

I have created a kit that can be purchased online or in my shop in Downtown Auburn, Washington. This starter kit includes a link to the pattern (which can be found here) a hank of CoBaSi DK yarn (which is a premium yarn that knits up amazingly soft and stands up to washings AND it's Knitted Knocker approved!), and a stitch marker all in a beautiful pink bag.


All you need to do is download the pattern, add US5 knitting needles (either DPN or 32" circular if you are doing the magic loop method) and your knitting talent!!! For every set that you turn into our shop (either mail in or drop by) you will receive a $2 store credit to our shop!!

How can you help if you don't knit??

A crochet kit will be coming soon. And if you don't knit or crochet, you should start *grins* you can purchase a kit and ask it to be pledged to someone on your behalf. This program is up and running and several kits have been pledged and I've found someone who can knit all of them up. It's a beautiful thing!

Thank you to all of you who have already supported this charity, and thank you to those of you who have read this and want to hop on board with us! If you have ANY questions please email me at info@alittleknitty.com

Jen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!