Skip to main content

Why I don't want to be gluten free

In November I landed in Urgent Care twice in two weeks due to pretty severe stomach pain. Since then I have done some testing and through it all they can tell me what I don't have. I also have bouts of pain in my hands and feet (to the point I cannot walk) that seem to have some correlation with what I eat/drink but I have no proof. Again, they can't tell me what is wrong with me...but they know what it isn't. 

So, I did some reseach and decided to do a little experimenting on my own. I've been pretty much gluten free since Novemeber 2013 (I do cheat here and there) and my stomach pain is completely gone and hand/foot problem seems to be under control. 

For the most part I try to stay away from gluten, mostly because this forces me to eat healthier and has made most fast food completely off limits. I really think the good that comes from being "gluten free" has less to do with skipping the bread and more to do with staying away from processed foods (unless you are celiac...which is a whole 'nother story). 

I really dislike admitting I'm gluten free. Immediately I sound like someone who has jumped aboard some fad to lose weight (this decision had nothing to do with weight and everything to do with pain). Then I'm offered many "gluten free" alternatives. The funny thing about those is that most breads/cookies/cakes have an ingredient list longer than my arm and I have no doubt in 5 years we will discover they are harmful! I'm not looking to replace processed foods with more processed foods. 

So I've decided I'm "gluten selective" I try to focus on foods naturally gluten free (oatmeal, corn tortillas, lean meats, beans, brown rice fruits and veggies) and when I want to indulge in cake or cookies, I will make it small and make sure it is made with high quality ingredients instead of chemicals and junk! 

I'm thrilled with how good I feel and how much I don't miss bread. And some weight loss has been a perk of course!! 

If you are thinking about going gluten free please continue to read labels and think about what you are putting in your body. A gluten free label does NOT make it healthy!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!