Skip to main content

Why I'm Being a Bad Mommy...On Purpose!

It's Christmas time in our house...and I know this because every few minutes my children proclaim yet another thing they would like to add to their Christmas List.

I do a lot to make great Christmas memories for my kids, and of course I want to make their dreams come true...but I'm drawing a line this year!

I remember the Christmas that I demanded a phone from my parents. I was RELENTLESS in my crying, whining, stomping, saying "you don't love me unless I get it"...I was SPOILED!!!! And if I remember correctly, I was 12 ('nuff said). That Christmas, I got my phone and I was over the moon happy and excited and gave a billion hugs and thank yous. This particular Christmas has come up in conversation with my mom a time or two, and she admitted she wanted to return the gift because I was being such a brat...and I honestly wish she had! Yes, the 12 year old me would have been SOOOOOOO mad, but now that I look back, there is no way my behavior should have been rewarded.

Now that I'm a parent, I believe that even more...in fact this year I'm going all sorts of "Bad Mommy" and purposefully not getting an item my kids have been requesting (a robot cat...like we NEED another cat up in here). Yes, we have the funds to get it, but my kids are being blessed with enough already.

The last few years I adhered to the following rules:

- Something they need
- Something to read
- Something they want
- Something to wear

I personally have stuck to this...but that Santa guy goes WAAAAAY overboard!!!! I'm keeping him in check this year and he is going to do less.

This year we will concentrate on giving to those in need, giving to those we love and appreciating time spent together.

This year I'll give the gifts of compassion, contentment and appreciation for the many gifts we have.

I hope the message is well received, although I understand it probably won't be until they are older...and probably have kids of their own! :)

Jen

Comments

  1. This post helped me to know about the illusion of control. I think it is the tendency for people to overrate their ability to control different events. It occurs when someone feels a sense of control over outcomes that they demonstrably do not influence.
    Jogos online
    friv free Games
    play Games friv 2020

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Karen Chemo Cap 5th Anniversary Makeover

I had someone ask me about the Karen Chemo Cap Fan Stitch and I decided the video and pattern were both in need of a make-over! Especially when I noticed this year is the 5th anniversary of publishing this pattern. When my mom had chemo I made her a few different hats because honestly it felt like the only thing I could do. I designed this one just for her, and was super excited when it was her favorite! After she passed I wasn't sure I wanted to release the design, but with a little time...it felt like the right thing to do! You can download the pattern for free here (please give it a favorite over on Ravelry so that it gets a little Ravelry love!!!):  Ravelry: Karen Chemo Cap pattern by A Little Knitty Designs You can purchase the yarn we used here:  Cumulus by Juniper Moon Farm (alittleknitty.com) Here is the video if you need help with the fan stitch!

Chemo Caps - Part 2

The Gia Chemo Cap doesn't have the same sort of story behind it as the Karen Cap , but it was developed with Chemo patients in mind! Please share this pattern with anyone who would like to knit a hat for someone in need! You can download your pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gia-chemo-cap

IOU

We know time is running out for those Holiday gifts....hope this will help!!  You can download the .pdf  HERE . We will have these printed and available for pick up at any of our social stitching times!!